Toronto Police Service Financial Crimes is requesting assistance identifying a woman investigators believe tricked a mortgage lender into providing a $1.3 million mortgage on a property they did not own.
It is reported that:
- during January 2016, a woman contacted a mobile mortgage specialist and then applied for a mortgage on a property in the amount of $1.3 million
- the mortgage specialist was able to find financing through the bank and a mortgage was registered on the home
- the woman received $1.3 million through their real estate lawyer
- the real homeowner then received mortgage documents in the mail from the bank
- the homeowner called the bank and reported the mortgage fraud
- the bank then contacted the police
- the woman in this investigation used fake identification to personate the real homeowner.
Investigators are requesting assistance identifying the woman. Her photograph has been released.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-7300, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.