(WARKWORTH, ON) -On June 9, 2017, the Northumberland Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) entered into an investigation relating to an explosion that occurred at a Warkworth business on Banta Road. Investigators determined that an explosive device (pipe bomb) had been detonated inside an unoccupied vehicle on the property. No-one was injured as a result of the blast.
On June 27, 2017, Criminal Code search warrants were executed on two properties; a home in Bowmanville, Ontario and a vacant lot in Havelock-Belmont-Methuen Township (Peterborough County) resulting in a male being arrested at the Peterborough County property.
Members of the Northumberland County Crime Unit were assisted by the Tactics and Rescue Unit (TRU), the Provincial Weapons Enforcement Unit (PWEU), the Explosive Disposal Unit (EDU), Urban Search and Rescue – Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear and Explosives Team (UCRT) and the Peterborough County OPP Crime Unit.
As a result of the search warrants, investigators seized several pipe bombs, handguns and long guns with ammunition, a quantity of black gun powder, electronic devices and $60,000 in stolen property.
Daniel Joseph CASTELLANO age 38 of Bowmanville, Ontario is charged with the following offences:
- Explosives – Making or Possessing for Unlawful Purpose (12 counts)
- With Intent to Destroy or Damage Property, Place or Throw an Explosive Substance
- Breach of Firearms Regulation – Store Firearm or Restricted Weapon (4 counts)
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose (2 counts)
- Mischief Under $5,000
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime – Over $5,000 (2 counts)
- Possession of Break In Instruments
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime – Under $5,000
- Possession of a Schedule II Substance – Cannabis Marihuana – over 30g
The accused was held for a bail hearing scheduled at the Ontario Court of Justice in Cobourg on June 28, 2017 and remains in custody at the time of this release.
The investigation continues under the direction of the Northumberland County Crime Unit.