(NORFOLK COUNTY, ON) – The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP), Norfolk County Detachment is warning residents to beware of a “Speed Notice” scam after receiving a call from a concerned Norfolk County, Ontario resident.
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017, the OPP received a complaint from a resident after they received an email indicating that they have been issued a “speed violation for exceeding the posted speed limit.”
A picture is attached to the email indicating that it was sent from the Government of Canada. The email also indicates that the receiver has a legal obligation to comply with the document request and that they need to declare who was operating the vehicle within 25 days.
Police are reminding all residents, that if you receive this type of email to delete it. This is a SCAM.
Some suggestions on how to spot this scam in particular.
- Carefully check the email address of the sender against other authenticated sources. Look for any discrepancies
- Never click links in emails that have unverified senders
- Government or municipal agencies do not typically request money or payment via email. Should you get an email from someone claiming to represent one of these agencies, call them using a number found on their legitimate websites to verify the email.
- Never provide personal information or money, without first authenticating the request
- Don’t fall for quick pressure tactics such as a short deadline for payment.
It’s not always easy to spot scams, and new ones are invented every day. Knowledge is power. If you want to stay on top of scams, inform yourself on how to recognize the various types of scams and protect your personal information by visiting law enforcement organizations’ websites, such as OPP.ca, the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (www.antifraudcentre.ca) or other reputable organizations.
Anyone who receives this type of email should delete it immediately!
For more information on fraud, call the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or http://www.antifraudcentre.ca.
FRAUD – RECOGNIZE IT….REPORT IT….STOP IT….