On June 20, 2017, the Toronto Police Service – Sex Crimes made the public aware of an arrest made in a sexual assault investigation.
It was alleged that:
• a man was diagnosed with HIV in February 2011
• in July 2011, he met a 24-year-old man online and engaged in an intimate relationship
• in December 2016, he met a 21-year-old man online and engaged in an intimate relationship
• on both encounters, the man failed to disclose his HIV status and, as a result, both victims were diagnosed with HIV.
Ala Al Safi, 27, of Toronto, was arrested and charged with two counts of Aggravated Sexual Assault.
As part of the ongoing investigation, eight other victims have come forward.
It is further alleged that:
• between December 2011 and March 2017, the accused had intimate relations with eight men, ranging in age from 18 to 28 years
• in all cases, he failed to disclose his HIV status
On Thursday, July 20, 2017, Ala Al Safi, 27, of Toronto, was charged with an additional eight counts of Aggravated Sexual Assault.
He is scheduled to appear in court at College Park, room 501, on Friday, July 21, 2017, at 10 a.m.
Ala Al Safi may also go by the names of Ala El Deen and Ala Mode.
Police are concerned there may be other victims.
Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators at 416-808-7474, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.