The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in an ongoing Extortion investigation.
On Saturday, June 10, 2017, police began an investigation into an alleged Extortion.
It is alleged that:
• in March 2017, a woman entered into an online relationship with a man using an assumed name of “Tim James”
• during the course of the relationship, the woman provided the man with nude photographs of herself upon his request
• over time, the man’s requests escalated into demands for the woman to perform a variety of sexual acts in front of her computer web cam
• when the woman expressed her discomfort with the demands, the man threatened to share the previously obtained nude images with family and friends of the woman, so she complied
• as the demands for sexual acts became more extreme, the victim reported the incident to police
On Friday July 21, 2017, at 7 p.m., members of the 11 Division Major Crime Unit executed two Criminal Code search warrants at residences in Oakville and Hamilton.
Later that evening, Brandin Basso, 25, of Hamilton, was arrested. He has been charged with:
2) Publish Intimate Image Without Consent
His photograph has been attached.
He was scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall on Saturday, July 22, 2017, 10 a.m.
It is further alleged that:
– the accused used a variety of aliases when speaking to the victim, and also used a computer-generated phone number (647–699–6831) to send text messages to the victim. The following is a list of known aliases for the accused:
1) Tim James
2) Smith Jones
3) Mike Jones
4) John_Turner 1029384756
Investigators are encouraging anyone who may have information to contact police at 416-808-1100, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.