In January 2017 the Guelph Police Service commenced an investigation which resulted in numerous sexual-related charges being filed against John Robert Leigh Taylor, a 65-year-old man who currently resides in the Guelph region.
The Windsor Police Service was contacted to assist in the investigation as information was received that Taylor previously resided in the Windsor area.
On June 14, 2017 Windsor Police Service posted to our corporate social media accounts a link to the Guelph Police Service Release on their charges to date.
The posting was well covered by local media.
Since that time five adult males have spoken to our Major Crime investigators about being victims to similar offences.
On Tuesday August 1, 2017 investigators from the Major Crime Branch arrested Taylor without incident. He was escorted back to Windsor and is charged with:
- 5 counts of gross indecency
- 3 counts of indecent assault
- 1 count of sexual assault
- The offence dates reported to the Major Crime investigators range from 1974 – 1984.
- The victim age at the time of the offence range from 11 – 14 years of age.
Investigators believe that there is a potential for further victims.
Further local information regarding Taylor includes:
- he was known in the community as Leigh Taylor
- he was a foster parent
- he was involved with a number of community activities associated with youth, including
- coaching local baseball teams
- he was a member of the Windsor Police Service from 1972 – 1979
- he was a truancy officer with the Windsor Board of Education from 1981 – 1982
Sexual-related crimes against a young victim are a serious offence that can leave lasting traumatic effects. Any survivor of sexual-related offences is encouraged to seek help and assistance.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Windsor Police Service at 519-255-6700 ext. 4830, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 519-258-8477 (TIPS), or online at www.catchcrooks.com.