Investigators with Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit are examining the circumstances surrounding a stabbing and a police-involved shooting that occurred on a street corner in Toronto.
Preliminary information indicates the following occurred:
• Around 9:15 a.m., Toronto Police Service received a 911 call about an assault.
• A short time later, two TPS officers encountered a man stabbing another man on the sidewalk at the corner of Driftwood Avenue and Cobbler Crescent.
• There was an interaction with the man who was stabbing the other man and one police officer discharged his firearm.
• A 26-year-old man was struck.
• The man who had been shot and the man who had been stabbed were both rushed to hospital. The man who was stabbed is believed to be 60-years-old.
• At present, both men are listed in non-life-threatening condition.
Eleven investigators and four forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.