The Toronto Police Service would like to make the public aware of an arrest in an ongoing online apartment rental investigation.
It is alleged that:
- from July to October 2017, a man posted apartment rental advertisements on the internet
- he then met with “prospective tenants” who responded to the advertisements and showed them various apartment units apparently for rent
- the “prospective tenants” then turned over cash deposits to the man in the belief that the units were theirs to rent
- they later discovered that the units were not available to be rented
On Monday, October 30, 2017, Bum Joon Kim, 39, of no fixed address, was arrested.
He has been charged with:
1) three counts of fraud over $5000
2) 18 counts of fraud under $5000
He is scheduled to appear in court at Old City Hall on Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 10 a.m., courtroom 101.
His photograph is attached.
Anyone who believes they may have been a victim is asked to contact Detective Constable John Maciek, 52 Division Frauds, at 416-808-5272, Crime Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at www.222tips.com, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES (274637). Download the free Crime Stoppers Mobile App on iTunes, Google Play or Blackberry App World.