(SPANISH, ON)- On September 29, 2017, shortly after 5:30 p.m. members from the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Detachment responded to a motor vehicle collision involving two vehicles on Highway 17 east of the Town of Spanish.
The investigation determined that a car was eastbound on Highway 17 when it crossed the centre line colliding with the rear fender of a pick-up truck that was westbound causing it to spin, lose control and flip into the northbound ditch. The car also ended up in the northbound ditch and once stopped the driver exited his vehicle and fled the scene.
The OPP requested the assistance of the Emergency Response Team (ERT) and Canine Unit to search the brushed area. The driver was located and arrested. Police determined the male driver fled into the bush because he was a suspended driver.
Minor injuries were sustained by all involved and a male infant that was in the pickup was taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.
As a result of the investigation, Todd DESCHAMPS, 26 years of age from Spanish, Ontario, was charged with:
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, contrary to section 249 of the Criminal Code (CC);
- Fail to Stop at Scene of Accident, contrary to section 252 of the CC;
- Drive Motor Vehicle-No Licence, contrary to section 32(1) of the Highway Traffic Act (HTA);
- Fail to Surrender Suspended, Revoked or Cancelled Licence, contrary to section 35(1) of the HTA; and with
- Driving While Under Suspension, contrary to section 53(1) of the HTA.
The accused is scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Blind River on November 2, 2017 for the criminal matters and November 15, 2017 for the provincial matters.