(ELLIOT LAKE, ON) – On December 5, 2018, at approximately 4:24 p.m., members of the East Algoma Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) responded to a disturbance call at a lodge north of Elliot Lake, Ontario.
Police located the involved persons in a vehicle in the parking lot. As a result of the investigation, a male was arrested. Seized from the vehicle was a handgun, a collapsible baton, stolen credit cards, electronic devices, suspected Fentanyl, suspected Crystal Meth, and numerous prescription pills.
The OPP’s Community Street Crime Unit (CSCU), Canine Unit, and East Algoma Crime Unit assisted with the investigation.
The driver, Michel ROACH, 38 years of age, of Hamilton, Ontario was subsequently charged with:
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose, contrary to section 88 of the Criminal Code (CC),
- Breach of Firearms Regulation – transport firearm or restricted weapon, contrary to section 86(2) of the CC,
- Careless Use of Firearm, Weapon, Prohibited Device or Ammunition, contrary to section 86(1) of the CC,
- Occupant of Motor Vehicle knowing there was a Firearm, contrary to section 94 of the CC,
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm, contrary to section 92(1) of the CC,
- Unauthorized possession of a Prohibited or Restricted Firearm, contrary to section 91(1) of the CC,
- Possession of a Firearm, Prohibited or Restricted weapon obtained by crime, contrary to section 96(a) of the CC,
- Possession of Prohibited or Restricted Firearm/ammunition, contrary to section 95(b) of the CC,
- Carrying Concealed Weapon, contrary to section 90 of the CC,
- Possession of a Firearm knowing the Serial Number has been tampered with, contrary to section 108(1)(b),
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Weapon, contrary to section 92(2) of the CC,
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – Other Drugs, contrary to section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA),
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the purpose of trafficking – Heroin, contrary to section 5(2) of the CDSA,
- Possess – Credit Card Data (five counts), contrary to section 342(3) of the CC.
The accused is scheduled to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice Bail Court in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario on January 8, 2018.